Sunday 19 September 2010

Metaphor for Life

Maybe it's because I'm from the South (which, when I say that in Scotland, they usually say, "Oh, you're from Newcastle?!"), but to me a rainy day outside always equates itself with a lazy day indoors. Of course, I will have to get over this natural feeling to have a movie marathon every time it rains, because in Scotland that could mean I never go outside. Ever.

However, today it was fitting to sleep in and be lazy. And to keep my mind off the rain and other things, I watched a fantastically funny stand up comedian named Adam Hills. Adam is from Australia, and besides having natural charisma and ease (and being pretty good-looking, as well), I love his work because he always has a message within his routine. Having a disability himself (he is missing his right leg), Hills tries to make other people with disabilities feel welcome at his shows. He is known for having a regular sign language interpreter on stage with him so that deaf people can attend as well.

During his hilarious show "Characterful and Joymonger" (which is out on DVD and on Youtube), the running theme was what kind of world Adam wants his baby godson to grow up in. He ended his show with one of the best inspiring and funny stories I've ever heard, which I will post below. But you really miss the full effect if you don't see him performing (and dancing) himself, so I will post the link as well and highly encourage you to give up four minutes to watch (and another hour to watch the rest of the show, if you can!). Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17AdCAy1s4A&feature=related

Enjoy these words of wisdom:


“A friend of mine used to work in Cairo. He told me, in Cairo the traffic is so bad that it only takes one car to break down and you don’t move. You do not move for the next couple of hours. It’s not like, oh it crawls for maybe 20 minutes. You are stuck there. So the people of Cairo are so frustrated, so annoyed, and so hot, they get out of their cars, and in a fit of anger, turn on the stereo, climb on the roof, and start dancing. What a fantastic metaphor for life that is! It’s not a dance of joy; it’s a dance of frustration. ‘Everything’s turned to shit so I’m going to dance it away!’ And if there’s a point to this show it’s that, when things are going well, drum your tummy. But when they turn to shit, dance on the roof of your car!”

No comments:

Post a Comment